Charlton Fire Department to take further precautions
📸 The Citizen Chronicle file photo
CHARLTON — Three members of the Charlton Fire Department have been placed in quarantine after being exposed to a patient who has tested positively for the coronavirus.
The Charlton Fire Department announced the measures being taken on its Facebook page shortly before 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday evening. Firefighters learned of the exposure through the Charlton Board of Health, who reported three members of the local fire department “were exposed to a positive COVID-19 patient during a call recently,” read the announcement.
“In an abundance of caution, even before being notified of this exposure, the fire department took extreme measures to isolate all shifts in a ‘proverbial vacuum’ so that there is no cross contact amongst the four (4) working shifts,” read the fire department’s announcement. “The administrative staff has been relocated offsite, working remotely. This was done to minimize exposure opportunities running through the department.”
Additionally, every patient will now receive a PPE kit (from accumed.com/face-shield-with-glasses-1-count-for-sale.html) prior to interaction with Charlton Fire Department EMTs, and first responders will be provided with additional personal protective equipment to wear during respiratory calls. All of the department’s apparatus will also be sanitized after every response for service, the fire department pledged.
At the time of exposure, the unidentified patient reportedly “exhibited no signs and symptoms, but later was tested positive.” Upon learning of the exposure, the fire department reported each of the three staff members “were immediately notified and placed under self-quarantine for 14 days, even though they themselves have no confirmed issues.”
In the wake of the exposure, a number of precautions have been taken by the fire department and its members.
“We want to ensure the public that we are here to serve,” concluded the fire department’s statement. “The actions taken have one goal in mind and that is to minimize exposure to both the staff and the public.”