Three sent to UMass Memorial after late morning collisions

Multiple departments respond as Charlton first responders deal with flurry of calls

📸 The Citizen Chronicle file photo

CHARLTON — First responders were stretched thin on Monday as they worked multiple car crashes.

In barely more than a 45-minute period, the Charlton Fire Department reported it responded to five calls for service, including a pair of serious motor vehicle collisions.

According to a fire department press release, the calls began at 10:34 a.m. as the forestry truck was sent to Fitzgerald Road for a report of unauthorized burning. At the same time, first responders rolled out to the intersection of City Depot Road and Center Depot Road for a two-car collision with a rollover. One patient was transported from the scene of the accident with significant injuries to UMass University Campus in Worcester, while a mutual aid ambulance from the Southbridge Fire Department transported a second patient to UMass.

While operating at the collision, two more calls for service were received in the final minutes of the hour. One of those calls was for medical assistance on Stafford Street, and was handled by mutual aid ambulance from the Leicester Fire Department. The other, on Masonic Home Road, was handled by an Auburn Fire Department ambulance.

According to local firefighters, calls for the second serious crash were received at 11:21 a.m. The latter collision involved three cars on Route 20, in the area of 417 Worcester Road, with one person entrapped. Due to the severity of the call, and with limited personnel available, an alarm was struck to request additional personnel and ambulances from Auburn and Oxford. Charlton Fire Department personnel rendered aid to the entrapped patient, while the Jaws of Life were used to extricate the patient, according to the press release. Life Flight was requested, but reportedly unable to assist due to weather conditions. As a result, a Charlton ambulance and two paramedics from Auburn assisted Charlton paramedic Todd Betts with patient care and transport to UMass University Campus. The other two motor vehicle operators were checked for injuries and refused transport to medical facilities.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.