Callahan warns of anticipated surge in confirmed cases
OXFORD — Local officials are preparing for an expected surge in the spread of the coronavirus as two more residents have received positive tests for COVID-19.
There are now 10 Oxford residents who have been confirmed positive for COVID-19, according to a press release issued by Town Administrator Jennifer Callahan on Thursday afternoon. Callahan said the Oxford Board of Health and the Public Health Nurse continue to conduct investigations relative to the identified patients. These investigations include working with the individuals to identify others, relatives and associates, who may have had recent contact with them.
“We want to encourage residents to be particularly vigilant in the coming weeks as we prepare for the surge in cases,” Callahan said in a statement. “With the case count increasing, people should assume the virus is already everywhere and that everyone they encounter may be a carrier even though they appear healthy. At this point all shopping and travel outside of the home should be severely limited to only truly essential and critical needs.”
Callahan said town officials have “been conducting a comprehensive outreach campaign to its seniors to determine who may need any additional assistance at this time.” The town administrator, who is also a registered nurse and former public health practitioner, said those who know any senior citizen requiring additional help, particularly with acquiring food, should alert officials by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
‘Grab and go’ meals available through school system
In addition to providing assistance to senior citizens who may need help in addressing food insecurity, the public school system is also working to aid students in need. The Oxford Public Schools, through its food service department, has implemented “grab and go” meals during weekdays.
According to officials, families with students who are 18 and under may go to Oxford High School between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Mondays through Fridays to pick up free boxed meals. Participants are asked to drive to the main entrance, where meals will be brought out when participants reach the overhang while walking towards the front doors of the school. Participants may not enter the school itself. While the meals are scheduled for each weekday, the “grab and go” meals will not be available on Friday, April 10 as the school district had been scheduled to be closed in observance of Good Friday.