All municipal buildings to remain closed until at least May 4
📸 Moriarty Photography file photo for The Citizen Chronicle
CHARLTON — There are now eight confirmed instances of positive COVID-19 tests among residents in this town as local leaders affirm municipal buildings will now remain closed until at at least May 4.
At around 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Charlton Town Administrator Andrew Golas said the Board of Health has reported eight positive tests for the coronavirus among local residents. He added that town officials “hope for a quick recovery of all those affected.”
While the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic continues across the state, nation, and globe, Golas said local precautions are in place but could be augmented through donations of some materials.
“Those fighting this disease on the front lines, including our local public safety officials and heath care workers, are using everything at their disposal to serve and protect the public,” Golas said. “Unfortunately, the access to additional personal protective equipment remains limited as we await the arrival of needed resources from the state and federal level. If you have access to personal protective equipment, including N95 Masks, Surgical Masks, Eye Shields and Gowns and are able to donate, please consider donating to our local efforts.”
Governor extends advisory throughout April
Citing the extension of Governor Charlie Baker’s mandatory closure of non-essential business and stay-at-home advisory, Golas noted all of Charlton’s municipal buildings would remain closed to the public until May 4.
“This closure includes playgrounds and ball fields,” Golas added.
While facilities are closed, Golas said “Municipal functions will continue to operate remotely during this time to the best of our abilities.” Locals are encouraged to reach municipal offices and officials by phone or email.
Additionally, the Charlton Board of Selectmen have voted to postpone the dates of both the annual town election and town meeting. The new dates for these events have not yet been determined.
As of Tuesday afternoon’s release of summary COVID-19 information by state officials, there are now 6,620 confirmed cases in Massachusetts, up by 868 from Monday afternoon. Worcester County now has 433 confirmed cases, an increase of 43 in that same timeframe. Additionally, there have been 33 new deaths attributed to COVID-19, bringing the total to 89 in Massachusetts. Of the deaths, two were men from Worcester County; one in his 70s who had preexisting conditions, the other in his 80s with no confirmation as to whether he had any preexisting conditions. Both men had been hospitalized due to the coronavirus.