Committee scraps events due to ‘very real threat’ of COVID-19
📸 Monson Summerfest 2019 photos from Monson Summerfest, Inc.
MONSON — An annual summer tradition will be taking a one-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organizers announced Friday.
The Monson Summerfest committee has voted to suspend all of the activities tied to the 2020 festivities after consulting local health agencies.
“The committee has always prided itself by providing our community and visitors with a safe, friendly, and family oriented day in keeping with the traditional Fourth of July celebration,” said Steve Slozak, chairman of the Monson Summerfest committee. “The current concerns posed by the COVID-19 pandemic and it’s implications for the well-being of all people has posed a very real threat to that goal.”
Monson Summerfest, a Main Street event since 1980, had been scheduled to celebrate with fireworks and activities on June 27. The event typically involves a parade, live music, pie-eating contest, and more. Its cancelation is not a choice organizers had wanted to make, but believed the circumstances warranted such a move.
“It was a disappointing decision, but one that the committee felt necessary,” explained Slozak. “We are not willing to put any of our citizens or visitors in harm’s way.”
Slozak said the Monson Summerfest committee looks forward to 20201 “with a renewed desire” for the event, which “over the years become a part of Monson’s culture.”
Individuals interested in joining the committee as it regroups for 2021 is encouraged to visit www.monsonsummerfestinc.com or contact the organization by mail at Monson Summerfest, Inc., PO Box 113, Monson, MA 01057.