Mason jars filled with marijuana, a counterfeit $100 bill, knives and a resume belonging to one of the suspects were among the items seized from an Auburn home after authorities say a 16-year-old girl was held captive there and had her head shaved.
A list of almost 50 items seized by Auburn detectives is detailed in a search warrant affidavit filed in Worcester Central District Court.
Four people, including a brother and sister, are accused of shaving the 16-year-old girl’s head, burning her with cigarettes and threatening her with a machete inside a 10 White Terrace home in Auburn on Dec. 27.
The alleged assaults by the four suspects, Krystal Lugo and her brother Christopher Lugo, Yariel Torres-Abee and Yuleny Ortiz, were after they believed the girl set up a home invasion earlier in the day inside the Auburn home, authorities said.
Police were told by confidential informants on Dec. 27 that they had to intervene at the White Terrace home. The 16-year-old girl, who ran away from New Jersey, was being held at the home against her will, the confidential informant told police.
It is unclear how the four suspects met the teen, but police testified in court this week that the girl was picked up by Krystal Lugo and Ortiz in Leominster on Christmas. The teen told police she had been in Massachusetts for about a month and a half.
In the search warrant affidavit, Auburn Police Detective James Lyman Jr. said the confidential information told police the girl was being burned and beaten inside the Auburn home.
The four suspects, the detective wrote, threatened the kill the girl if she didn’t tell them the names of two people who broke into the home early in the morning on Dec. 27.
Around 6 a.m., two armed men burst into the White Terrace home, pistol-whipped Christopher Lugo and demanded to know where the “weed” was, police said.
Krystal Lugo was inside the home with her 18-month-old daughter during the home invasion, which remains under investigation.
Officers went to the home around 11:30 p.m. Officer George Vranos spoke to Christopher Lugo and eventually saw the 16-year-old girl.
She was wearing a knit cap. She refused to look up at police and she was whimpering, the officer said in court during dangerousness hearings for all four suspects.
When Vranos asked the girl to remove her hat, he saw her head had been shaved.
“While in the basement area with the victim, Detective Dyson observed a brown chair, with yellow tape, a pan of water, cigarette butts, an iron, iron board, used condoms and a bag that contained what is believed to be human hair,” the search warrant affidavit said.
Police said the girl was held in what they called a “torture chamber” and assaulted after the home invasion. The suspects also told the girl they laced a marijuana cigarette with Xanax on Christmas, gave it to her and sexually assaulted her, according to prosecutor Tara Nechev.
Bullet holes and shell casings were found in the kitchen and in a bedroom. Police say the suspects in the home invasion fired weapons.
The girl’s hair was found inside a Christmas bag in the basement where she was being held, police said. The search warrant shows a yellow piece of duct-tape with hair on it was found in the basement.
Detectives said the suspects used the yellow tape to confine the teen to a chair as they burned her with cigarettes and held a machete to her neck. She was kicked and attacked in the basement, police said in the search warrant affidavit.
Along with the marijuana, police seized Christopher Lugo’s resume, which was found in a dining room closet. Several knives were seized in the kitchen along with vials of an unknown brown liquid, police said in the search warrant affidavit.
Court records for Ortiz were also discovered during the search. Police drug packaging materials were also seized.
Krystal Lugo, 23, of Webster, is charged with kidnapping, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery and larceny under $250; Christopher Lugo, 19, is charged with kidnapping, rape and drug to confine; Torres-Abee, 22, of Southbridge, is charged with kidnapping and assault and battery; Ortiz, 19, of Auburn, is charged with kidnapping.
Krystal Lugo was deemed dangerous by a judge on Wednesday and ordered held without bail as her case continues in Worcester Central District Court. The remaining three suspects are scheduled to appear in court again on Friday for their dangerousness hearings, weather permitting.