Reported overdose results in HAZMAT at Wendy’s

‘Mix of illegal substances’ found on scene

By Shaun Moriarty
Citizen Chronicle Writer

AUBURN — The Wendy’s restaurant on Route 12 was shut down much of Monday night after emergency officials said they were called for a reported overdose.

Auburn Fire & Rescue Department was dispatched to the fast food restaurant at 688 Southbridge Street shortly after 6:00 p.m. The initial call reported an individual had apparently overdosed in the bathroom. Deputy Fire Chief Glenn Johnson stated in a press release that “an unknown powder substance was also found at the scene.” Johnson also noted the individual, who name, age, and gender was not released, was reported to be in cardiac arrest.

First responders treated the individual, transporting the person by ambulance to an area hospital. No other injuries were reported, officials said.

The Massachusetts HAZMAT team, along with the local Board of Health, were called to the scene as well. According to Johnson, “a mix of illegal substances were identified by the HAZMAT team.” Officials advised these unidentified substances were contained to a bathroom in the restaurant, and not near the fast food chain’s cooking or food preparation areas.

Wendy’s was closed for about four hours but re-opened for business late Monday night. Officials cleared the scene shortly after 10:15 p.m.

Police are investigating the incident.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.