STURBRIDGE — Two adults and an 8-year-old child were displaced by a Sunday afternoon blaze that drew the aid of several area fire and rescue departments.

A structure fire at 63 Shepard Road was phoned in to 911 at 1:32 p.m., according to the Sturbridge Fire Department. As a second alarm was called and mutual aid was employed, the family was able to evacuate the home safely, though the family dog did not survive. Officials reached out to the American Red Cross in an effort to offer assistance for the currently displaced family of three.

As the on-duty crew of firefighters were dispatched to the scene, an automatic second alarm was struck to bring in off-duty and auxiliary fire personnel. As firefighters battled a blaze in both the blue home’s basement and main floor, mutual aid was received in the form of EMS from Brimfield, and firefighters from Charlton, Southbridge, and Spencer. Additionally, a crew of firefighters from East Brookfield and an ambulance from the Auburn Fire & Rescue Department provided coverage at Sturbridge’s public safety headquarters while the local crew was responding on Shepard Road.

One thought on “Family of three displaced in Shepard Road fire”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *