SOUTHBRIDGE — Locals will have 10 candidates for four seats on the Town Council when voters hit the polls on June 12.
David Adams, Kristen Auclair, Joseph Cotrona, John Daniel, Scott Lazo, Mike Marketti, and David Smick will each seek one of three three-year terms. Esteban Carrasco, Jr., Jack Jovan, and John Pulawski are each seeking election to fill the remaining year of the seat vacated by Wally MacKenzie in January. Jacquelyn Ryan withdrew her name from candidacy on Monday morning, while Joseph Daou took our nomination papers but did not return them to the Town Clerk by the 5 p.m. deadline on Tuesday. Candidates may still officially withdraw from the race up until 5 p.m. on May 11.
Of the candidates, only Auclair and Carrasco are incumbents. Carrasco was first elected in June 2013, receiving the largest number of votes of any Town Council candidate on that year’s town ballot. He was re-elected while running unopposed in June 2016 for the remaining two years of the seat vacated by Shaun Moriarty in January 2016. Auclair was first elected in June 2015, claiming the third of three seats in a field of six candidates.
Adams and Daniel are first-time candidates for political office, though Adams currently serves the appointed Board of Health and Daniel was appointed as a citizen member of the Town Council’s Education and Human Services subcommittee. Marketti previously ran for Town Council in June 2016, finishing sixth in a field of seven candidates for three seats. He has been previously elected to the Southbridge Redevelopment Authority and appointed to the Town Council’s Planning and Development subcommittee.
The Citizen Chronicle will be publishing transcripts of interviews with the candidates throughout the week. The schedule is as follows:
- David Adams, candidate for three-year term — Wednesday, April 25
- Kristen Auclair, candidate for three-year term — Thursday, April 26
- Esteban Carrasco, Jr., candidate for one-year term — Tuesday, April 24
- Joseph Cotrona, candidate for three-year term — Thursday, May 10
- John Daniel, candidate for three-year term — Wednesday, April 25
- Jack Jovan, candidate for one-year term — Friday, April 27
- Scott Lazo, candidate for three-year term — Sunday, April 29
- Mike Marketti, candidate for three-year term — Thursday, April 26
- John Pulawski, candidate for one-year term — Friday, April 27
- David Smick, candidate for three-year term — Sunday, April 29