Dishwasher cited as cause of Boyce Street fire

One dog saved, another lost to smoke inhalation

AUBURN — Fire officials said a dishwasher led to a fire that claimed the life of a family pet on Thursday morning.

The Auburn Fire Rescue Department was dispatched to 104 Boyce Street at 7:31 a.m. after receiving a report of smoke coming from the windows and doors of the home. Police officers who were first to arrive at the home confirmed those reports and also observed smoke coming from the roof. Fire officials stuck a second alarm at 7:35 a.m. to bring in off duty personnel as well as mutual aid from neighboring communities.

According to a press release issued by Auburn Fire Chief Stephen Coleman, Jr., the fire was contained to the kitchen and was quickly knocked down by the first arriving Engine Company. One of the family’s two dogs was rescued from the home and the other perished due to smoke inhalation.

Mutual aid was provided on scene by Oxford Fire-EMS and Webster EMS as well as Auburn Animal Control. Firefighters from Leicester and Millbury covered the stations during the incident.

Officials said the fire is not suspicious and the cause has been determined to be a dishwasher that was running at the time of the fire.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.